Gum Disease Treatment Options
Unless you have gum disease, you may not think about it much. However, gum disease is the primary cause of adult tooth loss in the United States. It has also been associated with increased risk for heart attack, stroke, osteoporosis, respiratory problems, low-weight births, diabetes complications, and a slough of other overall heath problems.
Because gum disease has mild, often unnoticed, symptoms in the early stage, many people don't realize they have a problem. An estimated 80% of the population has some form of gum disease, though. Checkups are vital for early detection.
Warning signs include:
- Bleeding gums when brushing teeth
- Gum recession
If we determine that your gums are infected, our hygienists will offer non-surgical therapy, including:
- Scaling to remove hardened plaque from below the gum line
- Root planing to remove rough edges from teeth roots
- Antibiotic therapy to eradicate infection
- Homecare habits and products to reduce risk of recurrence
- Referral to a periodontist for specialized care
Schedule your checkup today to experience dental excellence for a lifetime of smiles. Our Norman dental office serves University of Oklahoma patients, as well as those from Moore, Ada, Ardmore, New Castle, Noble, and surrounding areas.